Home » Topic » Pet Peeves from Retro Games?

Pet Peeves from Retro Games?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  delraypete 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Aforextreme
    Participant

I think it’s pretty safe to say that a lot of design philosophies from the early days of gaming don’t hold up anymore. For instance, lots of games have completely given up the “lives” system, finding other ways to punish you for dying. My question is: what are some old gameplay or design aspects from retro games that just get under your skin?

My example is that I’ve been going through the Mega Man Legacy Collection, and I can’t stand instant-death hazards, like the spikes or bottomless pits. It feels like disproportionate punishment; I could get through a section shooting enemies with minimal damage, but I wasn’t absolutely perfect on a platforming section, so I die. It’s made worse when these show up in games where getting hit sends you flying backwards, like the aforementioned Mega Man games, or the earlier Castlevania games.

delraypete
    Participant

I disagree. The design philosophies still hold up. Evidence is people like you buying the mega man collections and the popularity of Cuphead. Some of those old games are just hard. you have to really start to memorize each jump and when enemies will come flying into the screen. I remember it took me forever to beat mega man x as a kid. that being said, I can understand if these types of games aren’t for everyone.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar