Home » Topic » My 2016 YouTube project

My 2016 YouTube project

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  FeliciaNomiko 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

FeliciaNomiko

I know no one really comes over here, but just in case, I thought I’d share.

My husband and I are doing a thing on YouTube about writing a book this year. We are sharing everything we know about writing, everything we have learned in the last 10+ years. All the stuff I wish I had known 10 years ago. And I am writing my book this year, becasue I need a deadline, and this is a good one. It’s sort of a weekend writing retreat slowed down a bit and done over a year. We have a couple vids up so far and a new one drops every Sunday. If you want to check it out, here’s our page.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIxHeHVmdovNBZC3cHUxEg

Joseph DeGolyer
    Keymaster

I don’t think I have the patience to write a Novel, but I have written screenplays that run from awful to not-too-terrible… I plan on writing another one in the next month or so. Anyway good luck on the novel and the YouTube show, that’s a lot of work. You guys got 3 act structure pretty good, though I gotta say I kinda loath save the cat since it confines your story to likable characters, when there are lots of examples of great stories with no cat saving and characters you love to hate (Frank in house of cards). When you talked about planners v pantsers, I saw that I’m definitely a planner, and have learned to be so more and more since the stories that I planned out more always turned out stronger. Working out the kinks in the outline is way better than having to fix huge problems when you’ve already written so much and are attatched to the words. Are you gonna share your experience more as you go along? Like personally how writing is going for you as you take on the challenge?

Joseph DeGolyer
    Keymaster

The answer is “yes I am, watch episode 2” lol

FeliciaNomiko

I’ve heard a lot of hate for Save the Cat and I’m not sure I get it. It just helps plan out a story line for a blockbuster style story, one that appeals to the greatest number of people. If that is the goal of the story then it’s a great system. If that’s not the goal, then modify it to fit the goal you have for writing. That’s one of the things I like most about it, it gives the skeleton and is easily modifiable for other kinds of stories with a little adjustment. But then I’ve changed my mind a lot on how I see ‘formula’s’ over the years. I used to loath the very idea, but now that I know a bit more about writing, I don’t. Formulaic writing is the fault of the author, not the ‘formula’. I view it like I do baking. The ‘formula’ is just a recipe and you follow the recipes to the letter until you get good at cooking, then you know the ingredients that are available well enough to be able to change, substitute and tweet the recipe to your tastes and needs. If writers can’t or won’t do that, then they either don’t have the ability too or are not willing to learn to do more and develop their skills. I know plenty of people that can cook but never bother to learn beyond the recipe and can’t move outside of it. Not the recipes fault. And I think that’s part of the problem is people adhere too religiously to a system and don’t allow for other options and choices.

And yeah, we try to get some of my journey in there but I hesitate to talk to much about it those videos. I have been on the receiving end of droning monologues on people’s story ideas before so I try not to do that to the audience. I am going to start adding ‘supplemental’ episodes in there in a more vlog style where I can talk about what I am doing more so people can just skip them if they want. Less editing and producing required. It’s been fun so far but tiring. We’re getting the hang of it.

So far the advise has been to get a microphone or better camera. To which I say, haha! No. We aren’t trying to be pro and don’t have the money for such equipment. I swear people don’t think sometimes. We’ve done what we can with the quality of the camera we have and while it doesn’t look professional, we aren’t pro YouTubers either. I figure if it gets big for some unfathomable reason, we’ll start a patreon and work toward getting better equipment later. Like you guys early on, the sound wasn’t THAT bad and I listened just fine. The content was worth the less than stellar sound. Content is always king so we are more focused on that. There are plenty of better produced podcasts and videos out there and I don’t consume them becasue the content is shit.

And why I got on that I don’t know. See? Going on about my project and boring everyone. LOL

Joseph DeGolyer
    Keymaster

Not sure if you have this option, but simply being in a carpeted room with no echo will improve the sound a lot without costing anything. Otherwise just keep doing what you’re doing.

FeliciaNomiko

We actually did do that last week, but not becasue of sound issues, it was just getting to be too much of a pain to set everything up and take it all down in the kitchen. So we put it in the basement, which does have a carpet, so the sound is a flatter now. But it is cold as balls down there. Dear gods.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar