Home » Topic » Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah mercy kill?

Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah mercy kill?

Geekdom Entertainment Network Forums Forums The Godzilla Podcast Kaiju Discussion Central Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah mercy kill?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  AnDread 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Chris Taylor

From what I remember, Godzilla has taken out about 3 buildings to kill one person (2000, Biollante, and Vs. Ghidorah). In Vs. King Ghidorah, however, Shindo is supposedly trying to connect with Godzilla, and he subsequently gets fried. I remember a theory from a bit ago that they actually did have a connection and Shindo wanted to die (because it was his sub that created the “new and improved” Godzilla maybe?). We’ve established that psychic connections with Godzilla are possible in this series, so there could be some credence to this theory. I think it’s a very ambiguous scene because there’s room to assume this theory and also room to assume Drew’s position of wanting Godzilla to be destroyed out of our connection to Shindo as an audience. I like either scenario, but no matter what it’s when of the more poignant scenes in the franchise in my opinion.

Discuss!

#29908 Reply

Drew Daybell

I agree, super poignant scene for the series. If your comment here is not entirely discussed on the podcast (probably will be, ESPECIALLY because we’ve got time to kill during Godzilla Island) then it will almost certainly be mentioned a minimum several times. Reach out to me on twitter if you can so I’ll be more likely to remember this when it comes to the Godzilla 2000 commentary. Thanks dude 🙂

#35061 Reply

AnDread

I’m not sure I buy that Shindo wanted to die, exactly. I read Shindo’s refusal to evacuate as his stubborn insistence that he and Godzilla do in fact share some connection. Perhaps he believed that he might even be able to somehow dissuade Godzilla from his rampage, or maybe just that Godzilla wouldn’t kill him at least. His death seems meant to confirm that there was in fact no connection, that the Godzillasaurus was actually protecting its territory rather than defending the Japanese soldiers, as the film previously suggested. Of course, Shindo does seem troubled, and perhaps just couldn’t deal with unfolding events. So I could see him maybe feeling he deserved to die, but I personally don’t think of it that way.

The scene is definitely ambiguous and, I agree, one of the most emotional moments in the series. Why does Godzilla seem to pause? Is there a hint of recognition? Or maybe Godzilla simply wasn’t used to humans staring calmly at him like that (instead of quaking in fear).I like how Godzilla seems to simultaneously be a hero and a villain in this film. He’s more interesting when we can’t quite figure out his motivations and whether he poses more of a danger or benefit to humanity.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah mercy kill?
Your information:

Skip to toolbar