Home » Topic » Dungeon Additions to Remakes

Dungeon Additions to Remakes

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Cloud 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Nox@night88
    Participant

As many of you are aware, games like FF 1, 2, and 4 have been remade several times. Others such as 5 and 6 have been ported to the game boy advance and recently “remade” for iOS and Android devices.

In many of these cases, developers add additional dungeons with super bosses, better gear, or fan service content. Do you like these additional dungeons? Or would you prefer that they simply updated the game without them?

I personally don’t like most of the additional dungeons that have been added. I recently played through FF4 The Complete Edition on the PSP and found the additional content much less fun than the original game content. I’m currently playing through FF1 Dawn of Souls and the extra dungeons are much worse than the in-game content. I haven’t played the FF 5 or 6 extra dungeons, but I expect much of the same at this point.

I suppose that I don’t have a problem with extra content. You do need an extra reason to buy the game, but it seems liked the additions are half-assed attempts to make the game more appealing. Instead, they create the contrived areas that rarely fit the feel of the game. I was curious if you guys felt the game.

Battman2J
    Participant

I love bonus dungeons. Games like FF4 and FF6 I’ve played so many times I feel like I know them inside and out. Bonus dungeons give me a chance to explore something new while providing me with additional challenge.

Shinryu
    Participant

I LOVE extra bonus dungeons. They add new replayability to the game and are often really hard and fun to do.

Nox@night88
    Participant

But don’t you guys feel that the dungeons usually don’t fit the game. Again, I can’t speak for V and VI, but so far the extra dungeons in Dawn of Souls (FF1) have felt completely foreign to the game and generally arduous instead of fun. For FF IV this was not quite as bad, but I lost interest in completing them because the extra areas where so repetitive.

I guess my main complaint is that they feel as if less work were put into them. They were thrown in there for a cash grab.

Shinryu
    Participant

FF1 extra dungeon where you fight Chronodia is awesome and so hard. Sure it doesn’t fit the game exactly but its post game extra content.

Cloud
    Participant

I love the bonus dungeons as long as they are not pure repetitions of one another. For example, there is too strong a tendency to have them predictably have the same set of original early FF game bosses. I love the early games, but the repetition gets boring. I am fine with extra dungeons maybe each time featuring only ONE early series boss as the master, spice up the mystery, keep the extra dungeon in the theme of the game itself.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar